Monday, April 30, 2018

Leave the Horse Out of This


I was actually expecting this reading (The Virgin's Lover) to be a lot cringier than it ended up being (as the phrase "romance novel" is one I'm always wary of), but still I did find a couple of cringe moments within it. For example, on page 143, as Elizabeth and Robert admire the portrait of Archduke Ferdinand, Robert makes a peculiar, clearly allegorical and not intended to be skeezy but skeezy (to me) nonetheless about how one ought judge a horses' potential the same way they may a man to marry; in short, feeling it up.

"I would want to know how he felt when I gentled him under my hand, smoothed his neck, touched him everywhere, behind the ears, on the lips, behind the legs. I would want to know how responsive he was when I had him between my legs," (p. 143) and so forth and so on.

My comment, then, is this: I find it interesting, though quite unsettling, that this author, and as we observed in Wednesday's class, many authors' want to sexualize Elizabeth, be it allegorically or directly. I guess a powerful, intelligent woman is just not interesting enough for the masses, though that's human psychology for ya, isn't it? I'm not saying that's how it ought to be, but from reading this, that sure is how it is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment